Sunday, May 17, 2009

I'm a triathlete!


On May 2nd I FINALLY competed in and completed a triathlon. I know it'll sound crazy to just about anyone...but I had been wanting to do one for 21 years! Why I never did when I was younger and in great shape...I don't know. Why I didn't do it sooner now that I am older...pregnancy, being out of shape, busy-ness of being a mom, a myriad of reasons I guess. Well, this year I vowed would be the year. I was so out of shape when I started training (I still have a long way to go actually) and had so far to come to even be able to finish the lengthy race. I spent more than 6 months working out and gaining endurance. The next hurdle was finding a road bike to use. I could've used my mountain bike but was advised it would be harder b/c it's so heavy and the tires are so wide. My sweet friend, Karen, let me borrow her road bike for the spring and summer. It has REALLY skinny tires that intimidated me. I don't consider myself a very good bike rider. It kept snowing all spring! So it was difficult to even get out on it to practice. On my first day riding it I had a crash and seriously banged up my chin, knees, hip, hands and remarkably did not break my nose or any teeth. I was trying to learn to ride it with clip in shoes...just too much for me right now I decided. I had those pedals removed and replaced with plain old flat pedals. "Old school style!" I decided, for now, this was more about finishing and realizing a lifelong goal than being ultra-high-tech. Andy took me to the Academy a week before the race and trailed me as a I had a practice ride on the nearly 15 mile course. It was really hilly and hot, but I made it through and was quite proud of myself. One week later, on race day, it was 38 degrees, foggy and drizzly. I swam the half mile in the Academy pool (I thought this was very cool) and then headed outside for the bike ride. My first transistion was horribly slow...almost 8 mins (average was around 3 mins). I put on layers and layers of clothing... and honestly... as I froze while cycling I was glad for every bit of it. Andy and the kids trailed me on the bike course in the van and periodically would pull aside and open the sliding door to shout, "Go Mommy!" The best decision I made that morning was to pack a pair of dry sneakers for the run...just in case. When I finished cycling my shoes were soaked and my feet were absolutely frozen. It felt so great to put on dry socks and shoes. The run was an unfamiliar course and I struggled not knowing where I was and how far I still had to go. It was also super hilly. I finished in a time of 2 hrs 23 mins and 18 secs. I was certain I would finish faster than 3 hrs, but had a secret goal time of 2 hrs 30 mins. The kids and Andy cheered me as I ran the final lap in the track stadium and met me at the finish line. Madi said, "You did it Mommy and you weren't last!" (I had been gearing them up that I might be last, but didn't care b/c this was a personal goal that had nothing to do with my placing.)


So, there you have it...the rest of the story! And...I'm a triathlete now.