Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Andy's departure date

Well, summer is drawing to an end. Madilyn starts school in a week and Jack will start speech classes the following week. We're in major prep mode for the fall and all the changes to our family life. We haven't been communicating very well with everyone lately and I hope that once this deployment begins we'll settle into a routine which will make it easier. Maybe this blog will help everyone feel up-to-speed even if we never get into a better routine of calling and e-mailing.

Our days have been filled with numerous trips to the military clothing store to get the things Andy will need. It's difficult to find everything you'll need for new uniforms in one trip. We've stocked up on things like towels and sheets...it's not unlike sending someone off to college. We'll be sitting the kids down this weekend to tell them Andy is leaving in a few weeks and then hope to soften the "blow" by celebrating Madilyn's birthday either Sunday or next weekend...as a family. (She'll still have her big shi-bang in Sept with friends.)

You know in the grand scheme of life four months isn't that long. And, I know that four months at home with the kids and all their crazy, messy, cuddly chaos will seem much shorter and more tolerable than the four months alone that he will endure. I have the luxury of having the kids to help"recharge" my batteries emotionally. I surely appreciate all the attention I've recieved and all the help that awaits during the fall. I know having those spells of help will be a nice reprieve from the daily grind. But, please e-mail Andy and send him notes, etc.... I know that hearing from everyone will help him to sustain all those days in the sand! (we'll send his address to you in an e-mail)

The real news is that Andy has his departure date. He leaves CA at the end of Aug. For security reasons he's asked me not to say exactly when. It'll take him several days to get to where he is going and maybe a few more before communication is established. During that timeframe, when I hear from him, I will definitely tell everyone!

Well that is all for now.