Friday, August 31, 2007

Andy is on his way

We said our good-byes last night. The kids were into the movie (we had a goodbye party) and that distraction helped immensely. Although, tears were shed anyway. I think, for me, the hardest part is over. The last few hours were a roller coaster of emotion and all of them raw. I've heard from many who have been down this road before. They say that saying goodbye is actually harder than being apart. The kids will struggle in the next few days and weeks when the reality starts to settle in. Madi cried a little last night at bedtime and wrote in her journal before bed. She amazes me! Andy still faces many days of unknowns. I'm sure once he is all the way to his final destination he'll be fine, but it's the string of transistions along the way that will be difficult. I will let everyone know when he is all the way there. But, our communication between now and then will be spotty at best. So, I may not know anything myself for awhile.

I can't imagine going away for four months. Aside from two rather small boxes...this is all he took! And, he worried he might have too much stuff!