Sunday, August 19, 2007

Madi's Party was a Success!


Today has been a fun, fun day! Actually, it all began about 11pm last night. I ran to the grocery and bought a carrot cake mix (Madilyn's requested flavor) and frosting as well as a giant Barbie balloon. The balloon actually sings a song...I knew Madilyn would be crazy about it! (And, she is!) I baked the cake late last night and frosted it this morning. After lunch we opened presents followed by cake and ice cream. Madilyn got 3 Berenstain Bears books and 2 Nancy Drew books from Jack and Drew. I think she is the most tickled about those books. A notable change this year was listening to her read her cards to us! Amazing!!! From Andy and me she got her same charm bracelet with 2 new charms (a jingle bell and an A-B-C) and a James Avery ring from my childhood that I have now passed down to her. The big surprise present was a Razor scooter. The minute she opened it, Jack turned to me and said "But, it's a boy's scooter!!" I caught the moment on camera! The kids enjoyed scootering around the living room and kitchen. A little later we realized that Jack believed the scooter was for him...hence the true excitement at it being a "boy's scooter". I think he figured if it were a boy's scooter, someone must've made a mistake and by default it was his. Many tears followed upon realizing that it really was Madi's present. He is now asking when he can get a scooter!

After the big party we got all ready to go swimming. We loaded up in the car only to find the battery dead. I guess the kids had left the light by the back door on and it had drained the van battery. We got it going again and all is well. (I'm very thankful that it happened now, while Andy was here to help me. I think I am going to purchase the Black and Decker in-car charger...just for peace of mind.) Our swimming trip was postponed until later and the kids have been resting.
Andy and I have spent the last hour filming him reading bedtime stories. Those will be invaluable for the kids while he is away.